For more information on what illicit discharge is, please view the brochure (PDF).
This minimum control measure (MCM) requires:
- A plan to detect and address non-stormwater discharges, including illegal dumping, into the MS4
- A storm sewer system map, showing the location of all outfalls and the names and location of all waters of the United States that receive discharges from those outfalls
- The determination of appropriate best management practices (BMPs) and measurable goals for this minimum control measure
- The education of public employees, businesses, and the general public about the hazards associated with illegal discharges and improper disposal of waste
- Through an ordinance, or other regulatory mechanism, a prohibition (to the extent allowable under State, Tribal, or local law) on non-stormwater discharges into the MS4, and appropriate enforcement procedures and actions
See how you can assist with this MCM through our illicit discharge video.